Nhlanhla Simon Mbongo Missing After Last Being Seen in Meyerton, Gauteng: Family Reports Possible Kidnapping and Police Investigation Extends to uMzinto KZN
Nhlanhla Simon Mbongo, a 32-year-old father of two from Evaton, Gauteng, has been missing since 3 April 2026 after he was last seen in Meyerton. His disappearance has now escalated into a suspected kidnapping case after his family reported receiving ransom demands and later threats linked to unknown callers.
The case has taken a wider turn after police reportedly confirmed that his cellphone last pinged in uMzinto, KwaZulu-Natal, raising concerns that he may have been moved across provinces during the incident.
What Happened to Nhlanhla Simon Mbongo in Meyerton, Gauteng
Nhlanhla Simon Mbongo was last seen on Friday, 3 April 2026, in Meyerton, Gauteng. According to his family, he had travelled between Evaton and Meyerton for work-related reasons, as he had recently secured an internship opportunity.
He was reportedly wearing a grey T-shirt, black jeans, and blue Adidas takkies at the time he was last seen. Family members say he was with a cousin earlier that day, but later went missing alone.
His disappearance was only reported after he failed to return home as expected on 5 April 2026. Repeated attempts to contact him failed, as his cellphone remained on voicemail.
Family members searched Meyerton and nearby areas and also asked people who knew him in the area. Several individuals reportedly confirmed that they last saw him on the day he went missing.
The case began as a missing person report in Meyerton, but later developments shifted it into a suspected kidnapping investigation after the family received direct contact from unknown individuals.
Meyerton Missing Person Case Details and What Police Have Confirmed So Far
The investigation into the disappearance of Nhlanhla Simon Mbongo has reportedly expanded beyond Gauteng after key digital tracking information emerged.
According to the family, they received a phone call on 14 April 2026 from individuals demanding R3000 for his release. The family says they complied with the demand in hopes of securing his safe return.
After the payment was made, communication reportedly continued, but instead of a release, the family alleges they were met with threats. They say the callers claimed the amount was insufficient and threatened to kill Nhlanhla Simon Mbongo and dispose of his body.
On 16 April 2026, the family claims they discovered that the money was withdrawn at Boxer in uMzinto, KwaZulu-Natal. This development raised serious concerns that the individuals involved may be based in or operating through KZN.
Police were then approached again, and a case was opened at Meyerton police station. The family says they were given a case number, and an investigating officer was assigned.
It has further been reported that Nhlanhla Simon Mbongo’s cellphone last transmitted a signal in uMzinto, KwaZulu-Natal, strengthening suspicions that he may have been moved across provincial lines.
The family has also expressed frustration, claiming that they were informed that police travel arrangements to KZN were delayed due to a lack of departmental funds for fuel and accommodation, although this has not been independently confirmed by authorities.
Family and Community Reaction to the Disappearance of Nhlanhla Simon Mbongo
The disappearance of Nhlanhla Simon Mbongo has left his family deeply distressed, particularly his mother, who has been pleading publicly for answers.
Family members say they were able to briefly speak to him once during a call that was allegedly arranged through the suspected kidnappers. They say he sounded distressed and was crying during the call, which intensified fears for his safety.
His sister, Nokuthula Mbongo, has become one of the main voices in the search, sharing updates and appealing for assistance through social media and community networks.
The family says they are calling on both Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal communities to assist with any information that could help trace his movements. They have also appealed for stronger cooperation between police units in Meyerton and KZN.
Community members online have begun sharing the case widely, urging authorities to prioritise cross-provincial coordination given the digital trail pointing toward uMzinto.
This is not the first missing person case in Gauteng where families have raised concerns about delayed cross-province tracking and response times, particularly when suspects may move victims between regions.
Latest Update on the Investigation Into Nhlanhla Simon Mbongo’s Whereabouts
At present, Nhlanhla Simon Mbongo remains missing, and his exact location is still unknown. The most recent confirmed lead is the cellphone signal traced to uMzinto in KwaZulu-Natal.
The investigation is ongoing, with police reportedly working on tracking leads connected to the financial withdrawal linked to the ransom payment and reviewing communication records provided by the family.
The Mbongo family continues to appeal for urgent assistance, stating that every hour matters in finding him alive and bringing him home safely.
Anyone with information about the whereabouts of Nhlanhla Simon Mbongo, or who may have seen him between Meyerton and KwaZulu-Natal, is urged to come forward immediately.
