|

Magaqa Family Finds Hope After Years of Silence

Zweliphansi Sikhosana, former Umzimkhulu municipal manager, during a court appearance in KwaZulu-Natal on the Magaqa murder case.
Zweliphansi Sikhosana, the former municipal manager of Umzimkhulu Local Municipality, appeared in court in connection with the murder of Sindiso Magaqa.

By Mildred Naidoo
Umzimkhulu, KwaZulu-Natal | August 2025

After eight long years marked by grief, unanswered questions, and frustration with the justice system, the family of slain ANC Youth League leader Sindiso Magaqa is finally beginning to breathe again. What once felt like an abandoned case is now regaining momentum as one of the key suspects—believed to have orchestrated the killing—has reappeared in court.

On Friday, Zweliphansi Stanley Sikhosana, 55, stood before the Umzimkhulu Magistrate’s Court, accused of being the mastermind behind Magaqa’s assassination. A former municipal manager in the troubled Umzimkhulu region, Sikhosana was charged with murder, conspiracy to commit murder, possession of unlicensed firearms and ammunition, and obstruction of justice.

Also Read | Political Assassination: Inkosi and Inmate Arrested for DA Councillor Ndlovu’s Murder

For the Magaqa family, it was not just another court date—it was a moment they had been waiting for since 2017.

“It’s the first time in years we feel some light. We’ve lived in the dark for too long,” said a family member, speaking to KZN Daily on condition of anonymity. “This case froze our lives. Now, at least, we know who is being held accountable. Now we can start asking why.”

Sindiso Magaqa standing at a podium as ANC Youth League secretary-general, KwaZulu‑Natal
Sindiso Magaqa, former ANC Youth League secretary‑general and Umzimkhulu councillor, pictured during his tenure in 2011. He was killed in 2017 and is now the subject of renewed court proceedings as one of the accused faces trial.

A Moment of Private Celebration

In a quiet gesture of healing, the family gathered at home after the court proceedings and prepared a small meal—a braai—not to celebrate someone’s downfall, but to acknowledge a shift in their pain.

“It wasn’t a party,” the family member clarified. “It was a symbolic thing. For eight years, we couldn’t do anything. This time, we lit a fire for our brother’s spirit. Because the silence has finally broken.”

Magaqa, once seen as a rising star within the ANC Youth League and a vocal councillor in Umzimkhulu Municipality, was shot multiple times in 2017 while sitting in his vehicle. Though he initially survived the attack, he died later in the hospital from what officials described as complications related to the shooting.

His death sent shockwaves across the country and drew widespread condemnation. But as months turned into years and charges were quietly withdrawn or stalled, his name gradually faded from headlines—while his family continued to carry the weight of loss and legal stagnation.

Also Read | Principal Appears in Court for 2022 Murder of Wife That Was Ruled Suicide

Charges Return Years Later

Sikhosana’s name is not new to this case. He and several others were initially arrested in 2018 in connection with the murder, among them the late Harry Gwala District mayor, Mluleki Ndobe. However, in 2019, all charges were provisionally withdrawn. For the Magaqa family, that moment felt like betrayal.

The case has now re-emerged with significant developments. One of the accused pleaded guilty to the murder earlier this year and was sentenced. Two others remain on trial. Now, with Sikhosana back in the dock, pressure is mounting for full transparency.

“This was never just about one bullet or one gunman. It was about who wanted him gone,” said an ANC Youth League regional organiser who attended the court session in support of the family. “The league is here not only to show support but to demand justice, not politics.”

Emotion in Court

Inside the courtroom, Sikhosana appeared visibly emotional. According to reporters present, he repeatedly wiped away tears during the proceedings. While the full details of the state’s case remain under wraps, the prosecution confirmed that Sikhosana faces six charges and that his bail application is scheduled for August 14.

Natasha Ramkisson-Kara, spokesperson for the National Prosecuting Authority in KwaZulu-Natal, confirmed that this is his second appearance following his arrest last week at his home in Malvern, Durban.

Also Read | Durban Massage Parlour Raids Uncover Drugs, Condoms, and Signs of Human Trafficking

The Broader Context of Political Killings

Sindiso Magaqa’s murder was part of a disturbing pattern of political killings in KwaZulu-Natal, particularly around local government disputes and tender-related tensions. Since his death, dozens of councilors and political figures in the province have been killed under suspicious or unresolved circumstances.

The delays in Magaqa’s case have repeatedly been pointed to as an example of how deeply rooted the problem of political violence remains in South Africa.

Civil society organizations, including Corruption Watch and the Moerane Commission, have long flagged Umzimkhulu as a high-risk area for political interference, corruption, and violence.

“Justice delayed is justice denied, but justice denied doesn’t mean justice buried,” said a community leader in Umzimkhulu, reacting to Sikhosana’s court appearance.

Also Read | Abduction Due to Mistaken Identity, Says Victim

What the Magaqa Family Wants Now

For the Magaqa family, the path ahead is not about revenge, but answers. They hope that the courts will not only prosecute those involved but reveal the why behind the murder.

“We want him to speak. We want him to tell us what Sindiso did that made him a target,” the family member said.

There is also a growing call for the ANC to step in—not just with statements of support—but with action that addresses how political rivalry and internal disputes are costing lives.

As the next court date approaches, the Magaqa family and their supporters remain cautious but hopeful. What began as years of silence is now giving way to a long-awaited reckoning. Whether the case ends in full justice or further questions remain to be seen, but for the first time in nearly a decade, the Magaqa name is being spoken again—not as a memory, but as a demand for truth.

kzn daily banner with logo and categories and contact details
Contact KZN Daily with news and tips via email or WhatsApp

Most Read