Injeje YabeNguni Council Officially Cuts Ties with MK Party

Official logo of Injeje yabeNguni Council, traditional leadership body in KwaZulu-Natal
The official coat of arms of Injeje yabeNguni Council, representing traditional leaders.

By Naidoo Mildred 7 August 2025
The Injeje yabeNguni Council, a prominent structure representing traditional leaders across KwaZulu-Natal, has formally withdrawn its endorsement of the uMkhonto weSizwe (MK) Party, citing ongoing disregard and systemic disrespect by the party’s leadership toward the institution of uBukhosi.

In a strongly worded media statement released on Wednesday, the Executive Assembly of Injeje yabeNguni announced its immediate disassociation from the MK Party, following a Special Conclave that examined the increasingly strained relations between the party and traditional leadership.

The Injeje Council’s decision was largely influenced by events that occurred on 3 August at the residence of MK Party President Jacob Zuma, as well as a wider trend of conduct that Injeje says undermines the dignity and authority of amakhosi (traditional leaders).

“The Assembly juxtaposed these events against a discernible and troubling pattern of conduct by the MK Party leadership, characterized by a deliberate and systemic disregard for the dignity and authority of amakhosi,” the statement read.

Also Read | Political Assassination: Inkosi and Inmate Arrested for DA Councillor Ndlovu’s Murder

From Support to Severance

The Injeje Council had previously viewed the MK Party as a transformative political force that could advance causes dear to traditional communities, including the return of ancestral land, economic empowerment of historically disadvantaged groups, and the protection of cultural heritage. But the Council now believes that trust was misplaced.

“Our Council had erstwhile regard for the MK Party as a paragon of transformative potential… a regard we have since discerned was mistakenly placed,” the Executive Assembly declared.

Their disappointment echoes similar sentiments recently expressed by another body of traditional leaders in the former Transvaal region. Just a day earlier, the Transvaal Kingdom of Monarchs also announced a complete withdrawal from the MK Party, warning that continued association with the party posed a threat to the status and influence of traditional leadership.

The Transvaal monarchs stated:

“Continued association with the MK Party would result in the erosion of our dignity and the diminishment of the thrones of our forefathers… The treatment we have received within the MK Party is a harbinger of what we can expect if the party were to take over our jurisdictions and territories.”

Also Read | Mkhwanazi Implicated in Alleged Torture, Illegal Extradition, and Abuse of Power

Allegiance to uBukhosi Above All

In its statement, Injeje reaffirmed that its foremost allegiance is not to political formations, but to the enduring institution of uBukhosi. As such, traditional leaders aligned with Injeje, including amaKhosi, iziNduna, and Royal Houses across the country, will withdraw their involvement from the MK Party with immediate effect.

“Our primary allegiance is with the institution of uBukhosi and their constituencies above all,” the Council said.

The decision marks a significant political rupture, particularly in the context of the upcoming 2026 Local Government Elections. The MK Party has relied on traditional networks to build its rural support base, and the public disavowal by these councils could present serious challenges to the party’s grassroots appeal.

A Joint Response

In a show of unity, Injeje yabeNguni and the Transvaal Kingdom of Monarchs have announced plans to hold a joint press briefing on 1 September 2025 in Mpumalanga. This event is expected to further clarify their shared stance and future strategies regarding the political engagement of traditional institutions.

Political analysts suggest that these developments could set off broader tensions between traditional leaders and political parties perceived to be encroaching on the autonomy and influence of uBukhosi.

Zuma and the MK Party Yet to Respond to Injeje yabeNguni

As of publication, neither former President Jacob Zuma nor the MK Party leadership has issued a public response to the Injeje Council’s withdrawal. Zuma, who commands significant influence within rural communities, has often portrayed the MK Party as a platform to reclaim lost dignity and economic power for black South Africans. His leadership, however, is increasingly being challenged by those who feel sidelined within the party structure.

Whether the MK Party will attempt to repair relations with traditional authorities remains to be seen, but for now, the message from Injeje and its Transvaal counterparts is unequivocal: their respect and participation cannot be taken for granted.

Help Find Missing Persons | Mpumie Hlabisa Missing in Midrand Since 2024 – Help Find Her

kzn daily banner with logo and categories and contact details
Contact KZN Daily with news and tips via email or WhatsApp

Most Read